Skip to main content

You...Yeah, I Like You!

      Over the years I have learned that who you surround yourself with actually says a lot about you and will have a major effect on who you are as a human being. So, over the years, I am getting better and better at understanding what draws me to people, and more importantly, what makes me want to keep them in my life. Here are some things that I really like and appreciate about individuals:
    1. People who can be funny without being mean
I didn't realize how important this was until I saw The Fault in Our Stars, no joke. Augustus's eulogy to Hazel read, "She is funny without ever being mean. I love her. I am so lucky to love her..." I remember that sticking with me. I feel like it's easier for guys to get away with being comically rude, but I'm rarely impressed by it. When a bunch of dudes are together and ragging on each other, using profanity and cracking tasteless jokes, I am immediately uncomfortable. Steve Carell makes me laugh like no one else and I read Mindy Kaling's book, "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)" in which she described Steve as a master of comedy who refused to use humor at someone else's expense in his daily life. I think that's awesome and admirable. Humor is such a crucial quality for me to be able to connect with someone and it is totally ruined by a hateful heart. 
      2. Smart people
I love me a good nerd. That's not meant to be mean or stereotypical either. I believe nerd is starting to become an acceptable and dare I say it, desirable descriptor for many. I consider myself intelligent, but not when it comes to math, science, or anything that depresses my brain. That's why I'm so intrigued by people who are naturally gifted in those areas. I got a 24 on my ACT and never tried to get higher because I thought that was an awful way to spend four hours of my life. My best friend however, got 29 and kept retaking it until he was satisfied. Yay for pickiness and perseverance! I'm living on an honors floor in college and often wonder how I ended up lumped with all these forensic chemistry majors that ace all their quizzes and tests. But as soon as they start shooting out their big words and equations, I am in awe. Smart people have so much to offer the world and I'm always coming to them for help with homework. I have to keep them around! 
      3. People who express emotion through their face
I probably make over 30 different facial expressions a day and they are all ugly, weird, and a dead giveaway as to how I feel in that very moment. So if that's a form of communication for me, I definitely seek it in other people. Hence why I dislike "resting bitch face;" I only assume that you're upset and not a friendly person. I portray what a friend and I have determined to be "resting high and confused" face. No worries, it's the latter that is always factual. I hope that makes me approachable? I LOVE being able to read people. I can't do that if someone wears one expression their whole entire life. My dad has great facial expressions. Thanks dad!
       4. People who don't overly change their personality when around the opposite sex
High school is where I really started noticing how my girl friends changed quite quickly (and sometimes unattractively) once around boys they liked. Don't get me wrong, I was definitely guilty of it up until my junior year of high school when I realized, "Ugh, why am I trying so hard to be noticed? All I'm doing is talking a lot and being annoying af." Odds are, I still exhibit that behavior, but hopefully not as overtly as I used to. I figure that the more I attempt to mask the parts of me I deem unflattering, the more unflattering I actually become, because I've ceased being Libby. I'm no longer a unique individual, I'm a boy-infatuated teen with zero sense of self. I have many friends from high school that stayed exactly the same when interacting with the opposite sex and I envy that, because they so easily made male friends. I love guys! There's only so much estrogen I can take and guys make fart jokes that I'm a sucker for. 
        5. People with great authentic laughs
To this day, I believe my friends Lexi, Damond, Frank, and Rome have the most hilarious laughs of anyone I know. As soon as they laugh, I laugh too. I don't even have to know what made them chuckle, it's just a given reaction. The reason their laughs make me so giddy is because they are so unique and golden to that person, it warms my heart. I am never annoyed by their laughs, ever. Anyone who knows me, knows that I laugh, a lot. I have to be around funny people, it's a necessity. 
        6. Passionate people
I've probably said this a million times, but there's nothing more appealing than someone who is whole-heartedly immersed in something they care about. I have my own passions and can talk about them for hours on end, and I understand not everyone wants to hear about them, but they're hugely important to me. Some of my passions are music, singing, dancing, writing, television, and my family & friends. I light up when I talk about these things and that's why I enjoy having worthwhile, interesting conversations with others about what makes their heart soar. Sharing our passions is how we connect and find common ground as human beings. 
        7. Good & genuine souls
I have met some lovely lovely people in my time that lift my spirits simply at the thought of them. I am astounded when I meet beautiful, funny, compassionate, polite, hard-working, GENUINE people. They are rare, but I have witnessed and happily befriended them. These are the kind of people that inspire me to be better in every way possible. The kind of people I hope to keep ties with for quite some time. The kind of people I wish only the best for. When you find these people, make sure to observe and learn as much as you can from them. They usually have life figured out, and if they don't,  they're damn good at hiding it. 

       I recommend that everyone makes their own list like this to remember what you desire from those around you and the kind of presence you aspire to be to other people. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac