Skip to main content

A Single Soul

     I am 19 years old and have never been in a serious relationship. I don't see this as a problem to be solved or a mystery to be uncovered, but just as a unique and occasionally bothersome fact about myself. More than anything though, being single has created a weird perspective in which I see the world of dating and romance. Let's explain, shall we?
    I really don't even know where it begins—love and/or affection. I've never been the girl who has a bunch of guy friends, and even the ones I do have, any deeper feelings were never reciprocated. I know you're supposed to look for similar interests and activities, so it makes sense for me to find someone in the theatre department, right? Unfortunately, the theatre department is rather small and the guys are either taken, don't play for my team, or there's really not an attraction there. I'm surrounded by the same male species 90% of the time in my major classes. I also don't talk to anyone in my Gen Eds unless I have to because the content is boring and I don't particularly enjoy being there. So yeah, options are limited. They're not limited if one has a thriving social life, but lol we're talking about me here.
     I'm so weary about online dating, which at a college level is mostly Tinder; no thank you! I also don't see the point of seeking out suitors at parties, where alcohol is involved and the guy may not even remember my name the next day or find me way less cute once sober and in broad daylight. That's the other difficult thing to gauge—what are people really looking for anyway?
     I ask myself that question all the time, because as someone who has always been single, it's really hard to imagine not being single. I'm certainly not looking for marriage material, but I also don't want to waste time with anything that's not real or doesn't help me grow as a person. I don't want random hookups, but I also don't understand how a couple lifestyle works. I make to-do lists every day; if I get a boyfriend does that mean he has to be aware of my to-do lists? I'm terrible at constant communication. I never argue with anyone, but apparently fighting is healthy on some level in a relationship. I'll refuse to work out with him because he will no longer desire me once he sees me covered in sweat. I can't share a dessert, I just can't. I'll probably think less of him if he doesn't like The Office or any of my indie pop music.
      All the random stuff aside, I really just don't understand being that close to someone. Yes, I am close to my family and friends, but I have never had a relationship that is so special it qualifies as something different...and the idea of that is scary. I don't want to let someone in enough for them to see how messy I am. I of course mean emotionally, I'm organized af otherwise. Intimacy, and I don't mean sex, I mean allowing someone to spend enough time with me that they become aware of my quirks, my fears, my daily routines, my likes and dislikes, my past, and all the other overwhelming shit that encompasses my being...is such a strange concept for me to wrap my head around.
     I am not used to male attention or affection. Simple things like holding hands, cuddling, any form of PDA, being taken out on a date, getting picked up or dropped off in his car, being brought food after a rehearsal, or being introduced to his family—all of that is foreign territory, and I hate to say that at 19 years old. I only hate to say it though, because society has told me I should already be past that stage in my life by now. I should have danced with my high school sweetheart at prom. I should have broken up with said sweetheart because a long distance relationship in college just wasn't going to work. I should have fallen for the guy who was completely wrong for me, but it felt so right anyway. Etc, etc, etc. It's frustrating, I'm not going to lie. I'm honestly worried that as intuitive and mature as I believe myself to be, I won't know how to navigate my relationships when they come and therefore I'll always be ten steps behind the couples that are successfully building a life together. I could also be making this whole ordeal more complicated than it needs to be and perhaps love will blossom simply and painlessly for me. I'm just choosing to be less optimistic. I have a lot of friends who have a significant other and I question how it was so easy for them to find that person amongst all the fish in the sea and why the fates and timing don't seem to be on my side.
     Then I ask myself if I'm the problem. Am I too picky? Am I too prudish? What qualities do I lack that all the other girls who guys actually want to be with have? Why is the thought of saying, 'hey, I think you're attractive, would you like to get to know each other more?' so daunting?! I spend so much time inside my head with the anxiety that tells me I have no business being someone's anything for all the various reasons that shouldn't ring truthful, but do. It's like I don't expect myself to be seen in any other light than "Oh Libby, yeah, she's nice." 
     However, being single all this time has taught me that there is a lot more to me than that. I really am grateful that I am not the girl who has always needed a guy for company, for comfort, for validation, for worth. I've endured my ups and my downs all on my own and I think that has made me stronger and more self-aware than I realized. My heart is a cautious one, but it always has a lot to say, so thank you for reading and considering that love and relationships take on various meanings depending on who you are and where you come from.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac