Skip to main content

A Special Kind of Loudness

    I always thought time would slow down after I graduated, and that I'd be sulking in boredom over the glacial speed my days occurred at. Boy, was I wrong😳. It has been nine months since I left school, and saying that makes me queasy. On the one hand, I am proud to say that in those nine months I have still found ways to participate in the world and seek out my passions. However, there's so much that feels up in the air about who I am and where I'm headed. I guess nearly a year seemed like enough time for me to get this adulthood shit together.
    Enough. Oof, can't tell you how many times I agonize over that word. We live in a society that has developed this hustle mentality, and if one isn't utilizing the majority of their time toward their personal and professional goals, they ought to be doused in guilt. Unsurprisingly, I did leave college believing that my self-worth was tied to my productivity; nine months, and I'm still struggling to throw that belief out the window.
    I spend a lot of time alone, especially having moved to a college town wherein I don't attend the university or am closely acquainted with many people who do. It has been a drastic change to my former academic environment, and a bit of an unwelcome trial. I thought a natural descriptor for this transitional period of my life would be "quiet," but that hasn't been the case.
    This kind of loneliness is loud, like my mind rarely knows how to shut off or offer peaceful messages of safety and ease. I am often battling the voices in my head that can't agree on how I am handling or appearing in the present, which at times can be both embarrassing and exhausting. And for the life of me, I haven't been able to write about it! If you took a look at my journal over the past couple of months, you'd see this narrative repeated throughout: "I don't know what I'm doing. I wish I believed in myself more. All of my peers are doing a hell of a lot better than I am." Writing positively and searching for my genuine identity amidst all the conflicting internal noise, has been somewhat of an overwhelming feat.
    As I mentioned, the concept of "enough" has weighed on me ever since I can remember, but recently I asked myself what is reverberating the most right now? I narrowed it down to five specific characteristics:
1. I am not motivated enough
2. I am not grateful enough
3. I am not healthy enough
4. I am not successful enough
5. I am not brave enough
I see these as faults, areas I am falling short. I know my therapist would ask me to view these as lies, stories made up about me by my anxiety and depression. I think that's a wildly interesting and aggravating thing about self-awareness; I can recognize negative thought patterns and behaviors lickety split, but implementing counter intuitive methods in an effort to better myself long-term feels like a cyclical hell I haven't discovered how to finally climb out of.
    I could go into detail about those five hang-ups, but that would make this already long post the length of a short story😅. For all the questions I don't have answers to, I do know that this loneliness is not something I need to detest, fix, or run in the opposite direction from. It is simply new territory, and with it comes the opportunity to dissect the way I feel about myself, and probably, more importantly, challenge it.
    All of these characteristics I don't see myself measuring up to are so very subjective, and deep down I know this. I intentionally search for art, entertainment, and conversation that speaks to that truth, but I am realizing that consuming it, is not the same as embodying it. I haven't mastered how to let go of comparison and honor my own unique versions of these enticing attributes we all seem to strive for. Although, there is something to be said for trying, and I often dismiss the effort if the end result doesn't meet my own critical expectations.
    I get out of bed every morning before 10am, and is that not motivation? I jot down in a journal a highlight of each day. Is that not gratitude? I track my physical activity and make it to the gym four times a week. Is that not healthy? I graduated college Summa Cum Laude with a beloved circle of friends and a greater sense of self. Is that not success? I share the happenings of my head and heart, vulnerably and frequently. Is that not bravery? Examining my progress and consistency against someone else's serves me in little to no way, and this is also why the clearest love/hate relationship in my life is with social media.
    Yes, there is absolutely room for more—to grow and improve the Libby that exists now. But that forward momentum will stall pretty damn quickly if I lack the acknowledgment and appreciation for all that I currently am. There are days where that doesn't feel like much, but I don't have to let those be my defining days. There's a crazy amount of life I don't have control over, and that can be an excruciating fact. But I am learning how much power exists in the way I see myself and speak of my future, however hazy I perceive it to be right now.
    Uncertainty does not and should not equate to shame, and even when I ache to be a masterpiece, there is a stronger and smarter part of me that intends to commit herself to being a lifelong work in progress instead. That feels more honest, fulfilling, and hopefully, more relatable. Bring on the pain, bring on the change. There is both a fire and resilience in me I have yet to uncover. Let it take as long as it takes, and I will do my damnedest to not apologize for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac