Skip to main content

What Has and What Could

I don’t know about you, but I get sucked into the world of comparison far more often than I’d like to admit. Growing up, I fantasized about beauty and popularity, assuming those who had that were living more meaningful, exciting lives. Now, at 22, I can tell you that makeup overwhelms me, I wear pajamas more than anything else, and I truly understand that friendship is about quality rather than quantity.
As we develop our personalities and grow along our unique paths, we sort of naturally decide what matters to us and what doesn’t. Sometimes I get insecure about the fact that I’d rather stay in than go out drinking, or that there's no amount of money you could offer me to go skydiving. Theoretically, I should worry about getting old, but I really can’t wait to sit on my front porch in a rocking chair eating as much dessert as I damn well please🙌. We’re not all supposed to be interested in the same things; that’s what makes life and relationships so rich. Even though I wish I was more of a thrill-seeker, I can’t force my true nature into anything dishonest. I can certainly challenge it, which has become my overarching objective with anxiety. I do notice that my passions are mainly limited to the creative realm, and I find myself fascinated by how monumental simplicity can be, but I want to get out of the habit of using those facts as reasoning to label myself "boring." Our individual stories matter, and of course we’re often influenced by each other’s past adventures and present projects. However, the key component I’m always seeking is inspiration. If envy or pride is the driving force of my creativity and/or life goals, the farther away I put myself from personal fulfillment.
 When crafting this blog post, I didn’t set out to make any kind of bucket list, but to merely envision what could lie ahead that’d stir some enthusiasm in me. The first time I made a bucket list was in middle school. It wasn’t a great list, largely due to how warped my ideals were by outside influences at that age. I was simply too young then to properly evaluate what I aspired to do and be in the future. Although, who knows, maybe ten years from now I’ll be saying the same thing. That original bucket list contained things like: ride a roller coaster, stay awake for a whole 24 hours, eat mushroom on a pizza. You know, wild stuff like that😱.
 So, to begin with the updated version, I first found it useful to revisit experiences from my past that had a lasting impact on me. It's actually quite difficult for me to map out how I can make my journey joyous and intuitive since I’m closely acquainted with worry and overthinking. This ended up being a helpful lesson for me in taking stock of my own lingering insecurities and troubling perspectives, then confronting them with a dash of optimism.
What follows are two lists, one containing memories of various events/moments that I value, and the other showcasing my hopes for whatever time I have left. Some items on the second list feel very achievable, and others more out of reach. But that’s OK—I’m shooting for possibility here, not predictability😉. I do agree with the thought that we shape our world by the way we interact with it. For me, it's absolutely imperative that I remember it's not a competition—I can own what I love and what I've learned, while recognizing that there’s always room for more. And I just might surprise myself along the way!

Have Done (some several times)
1.     Stayed single until it felt like my life could be complimented by someone who lit me up in a significant way
2.     Spent most of any vacation money I had on good food
3.     Listened to Bon Iver while watching a beautiful sunset
4.     Attended a live music concert
5.     Tried therapy
6.     Took up guided meditation
7.     Became obsessed with an actor who inspired me and watched several long interviews of them discussing their history and career 
8.     Stayed up very late reading a really good book
9.     Ate McDonald’s breakfast after a night of too much to drink
10.  Went to a movie in a theatre by myself
11.  Gave up a social networking app that didn’t really benefit me in any way
12.  Became close friends with people who have good taste in music
13.  Told someone I loved them even when I wasn’t sure it’d be reciprocated
14.  Made a mistake that compromised my beliefs about the kind of person I thought I was and found a way to reconcile with & learn from the mess-up
15.  Engaged in an activity that I was interested in, even, and perhaps especially, when it scared and intimidated me
16.  Found myself in an uncomfortable situation and kept my sense of humor through it 

If someone asked me to show them a picture that I think captures my personality well, it'd be this one. Content with her music, books, and dark under eye circles. 😌
Still Want to Do
1.     Travel out of the country (therefore being forced to fly in an airplane) with my sister
2.     Go skinny dipping
3.     Dance with pure abandon in public (alone or with friends)
4.     Go to several different restaurants throughout the day just to eat off the dessert menu
5.     Befriend a senior citizen
6.     Spend an extended amount of time in Seattle, WA
7.     See a musical on Broadway
8.     Be a member of an indie pop/rock band that writes its own music
9. Go on a shopping spree with someone who can educate me about my wardrobe and fashion for my body type
10.  Write a book
11.  Get to a place where my self-confidence can’t be significantly shattered by rejection, comparison, and/or “failure”
12.  Join a volunteer group that has a mission of generosity, inclusion, and social justice
13.  Take a few months to visit with and interview various people about their perspectives/personal experiences on topics I’m curious about
14.  Work on the set of a television series as some instrumental part of the process
15.  Become a mother
16.  Find ways to be a meaningful and dependable part of both my family & close friends’ lives as we grow older and more complex


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac