Skip to main content

May I Recognize My Progress

    I was about 12 years old when I started regularly seeing a therapist to talk about my anxiety. I am now 20 years old, and although eight years offers plenty of time for growth, there are still some days that I feel like 12-year-old Libby who wrote in her journal about being sad even when she was around other people, and how she was overwhelmed by these thoughts inside her head that told her she didn't matter all that much. When I encounter these low moments, I become very frustrated with myself and question if I'll ever be the kind of person I want to be if my anxiety's presence is so strong.
    Then I have to breathe (I'm actually really working to do that simple activity more often) and remind myself that I am so not the same person I was eight years ago. I have spent almost a decade since then changing, learning, and approaching my anxiety in a much healthier way than I would've if my parents had never encouraged me to seek professional help (thank you x infinity mom and dad). I have experienced awful and debilitating things because of my anxiety. Anxiety has this bff named low self-esteem and their favorite place to hang out is inside me. They make it rather easy to fixate on those dark memories. Enduring life with a mental illness sometimes makes me believe that all I really am is the illness, and that sucks. However, I'd like to think that the little triumphs I've accumulated over the years outweigh those dark memories. These little triumphs are clear evidence that even though anxiety may always be a part of me, it doesn't own me.
    I made my way to those triumphs by carrying myself through a number of anxiety-inducing situations. I don't often see myself in a courageous light because I still live most of my life inside my worrisome head, but I'm really trying to acknowledge when I survive these mental/emotional hurdles. I think it would be a disservice to 12-year-old Libby to not take note of progress. For me, defining 'progress' has been about repeated exposure to those situations that scare me. These are situations that most other people wouldn't deem scary, intimidating, or unbearable, which is why I often avoid giving myself any credit. I have high expectations for myself because I desperately want to feel brave, bold, and unshakeable. I want to live my life like a normal young adult with fun and spontaneity in mind, but my anxiety never lets me operate that way. Instead, it frequently steps in and shouts, "you can't handle this!," and I choose to believe it. So I survive, but I don't remotely feel like I succeed. There's a big difference between those two and being on the surviving end is disappointing. Except it shouldn't be, right?
    That's the tough thing for me about monitoring progress; I crave perfection instead. Progress is not linear, and that's both a painful and enlightening lesson I am learning over and over again. I shouldn't downplay the steps I make in a positive direction, whether they be big or small, because there are plenty of things present Libby has accomplished in recent years that 12-year-old me would've never imagined. For example,

  • I chose Musical Theatre as my major—that's constant singing, dancing, and acting in front of an audience...UM HELLO ANXIETY
  • My choice of major brought me to a college four hours away from home where I didn't know a single soul (*craps pants*)
  • I was able to make new friends in college, and they don't think I'm a weird awkward mess (if they do, they considerately haven't expressed that to me)
  • I go to theatre parties and out to the bars and don't look totally out of place, even though my inner monologue is telling me to fret about tooooooo many things
  • I go to the gym by myself quite a bit. Do I avoid the weight room with all the bulky men? You bet I do, but I still proudly sweat my tail off on the elliptical because exercise helps clear my mind
  • I was put in charge of occasionally 6-7 kids at a time as a camp counselor (ANXIOUS CITY!), but I was pretty darn good at my job
  • I went on vacation to Texas with two close friends, which is so far from familiar territory. There was possibility for SO many things to go wrong, but it's now one of my fondest memories 
  • I sat down and had a meal in public with a guy I was attracted to and didn't freeze like a lunatic or throw up out of terror
  • Lastly, I'm writing this blog post. 12-year-old Libby was very quiet about her inner demons, which was absolutely valid. 20-year-old Libby has started to embrace the healing that comes from sharing her truth. I wouldn't be mortified to have a conversation with someone (who isn't my therapist) about my mental health issues and that right there is DAMN PROGRESS. 

It's really difficult not to judge my shortcomings. It takes conscious and consistent effort to recognize that the little triumphs do matter because they have and are continuing to pave the way to creating a better, wiser human being. So that's where I'm at right now—struggling to see progress because those bummer bffs (anxiety & low self-esteem) keep telling me I'm not enough. But you know what? I have the power to kindly tell them to shove off when necessary because they do not benefit me. What I need on this journey of self-love is forgiveness and faith. Whatever you need on your journey (which won't be linear and that's OK), I sincerely hope you can look within and access it. <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac