Skip to main content

I Hope Because I've Been There

    I am pretty young to be thinking about having children, but let's face it, there's no way I'm not going to be a mother in the future. If there's one thing that comes naturally to me beside my immediate laughter to farting, it's my maternal instincts. I'm only 19 but I already know that it will be the most emotionally exhausting and ridiculously rewarding (yes alliteration!) job I'll ever have. 
    I've had a tough relationship with my self-esteem and body image ever since I can remember. It started at a young age and based on the society we live in today, I believe it will be hard for my daughter to avoid the same troubled mindset I have when it comes to her own body. Who knows if I'll actually have a daughter, but if I do, I want her to know that these are some of the things I hope for her throughout her life.  
  • I hope she won't develop a resentful relationship toward food; specifically desserts
  • I hope she won't feel compelled to suck in her stomach for every picture that will show her full body
  • I hope she won't feel discouraged in dance class when all the smaller girls strip down to their leotards and spandex while she prefers to keep on her t-shirt and gym shorts
  • I hope that she never has to stand in front of a mirror for a painfully long amount of time wishing her muffin top would disappear
  • I hope she won't dread being on stage in her outfit because the costumer forgot not all girls love exposing their mid-section
  • I hope she won't avoid swimming at all costs because she's insecure about the fact she doesn't wear a bikini
  • I hope she never has to cry in a dressing room because she's so tired of trying on clothes that don't fit
  • I hope she won't let the fact that her body isn't the way she wishes it to be overshadow all her other wonderful traits
  • I hope she won't have to listen to her skinnier friends point out all their "flaws" and then wonder how ugly she must look 
  • I hope she won't feel wrong for being more covered up at parties and formal events than other females are
  • I hope she never feels ashamed to work out in a public gym
  • I hope she won't feel embarrassed to ask for or choose the size she actually needs in the clothing store just because it's a "large" or bigger than a size 6
  • I hope she never feels the need to apologize to someone who has to lift or touch her body
  • I hope she won't feel down when the celebrities she thinks are gorgeous are posting on their social media about how they're not in good enough shape
  • I hope she won't see other girls and immediately assume the guy she has a crush on would pick them over her simply based on looks
  • I hope she won't have to look away from the scale while the nurse weighs her because she has let a number have that much power over her
  • I hope she won't get worked up over the tiny girls she knows who eat pizza and donuts and drink loads of pop yet still never gain visible weight 
  • I hope she won't consider herself less worthy of love, success, or happiness based on her body

  • I hope she will wear clothes that make her feel cute and like herself, regardless of if they're "in style"
  • I hope she will get ice cream with her friends or family because those are bonding moments she shouldn't miss
  • I hope she will believe the guy who tells her that she has a nice butt...and then tell him that she'd appreciate compliments that don't relate to her physical features, thank you very much
  • I hope she will enjoy physical activity because it makes her feel strong and capable
  • I hope she will always befriend women of different shapes and sizes because their personality and character inspire her and enrich her life
  • I hope she will go out to social events even when her jeans are too tight and expose her love handles 
  • I hope she will dismiss the negative body-talk of her friends
  • I hope she will eat the foods she craves once in a while, even if it's Reese's Puffs or a cinnamon roll or Ben & Jerry's
  • I hope she will remember that the things people will like her most for won't be related to her body
  • I hope she will enthusiastically shimmy and shake her booty when the occasion calls for it
  • I hope she will push herself to be bigger and bolder than she's usually comfortable with
  • I hope she will proudly take pictures of herself when she feels beautiful
  • I hope she always remembers that beauty is a state of mind, not a state of body
  • I hope she will grab that second slice of pizza...or third (I mean, if it's pepperoni)
  • I hope she will buy that backless dress or high-waisted jeans or extravagant bra because the word "sexy" can actually apply to her
  • I hope she will give her body the rest and care it deserves
  • I hope she will realize that comparing is such a frustrating and fruitless pastime and she shouldn't let it become habit  
  • I hope she always remembers that a "healthy" lifestyle means something different to everyone and that she keeps trying and working and taking one step after the other even when her mind is telling her that her only purpose is to lay in bed
                                   
    It pains me to think of the pressure we as women feel to meet these societal expectations and standards that simply aren't realistic. We owe it to our daughters, to ourselves, and to each other to make life less about having a bangin' body and more about having a genuine and empathetic heart that's inside of a body we value for doing its job.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac