Skip to main content

The Nice Dilemma

    I've heard it time and time again, "Libby, you're too nice!" The phrase that makes me raise my eyebrows and uncomfortably chuckle, because the statement is usually thrown at me with the intent to say I'm doing something wrong. I'll admit, sometimes my kindness has me placing less value on myself and devoting more energy to keeping other people satisfied. It's not always a wise or healthy tendency, but I am a people-pleaser at heart and I don't think that will change any time soon.
    What I don't understand, is why kindness is treated as such a rarity. I don't hesitate to say please or thank you. I don't think twice about holding open doors (ok, that's a lie—sometimes it's hard to gauge how far away is too far away for me to be standing forever holding a door for someone). Of course I will give you a ride if we're going to the same place. It's your birthday and we're close...well duh, I'm going to get you a gift. Being nice never feels like it requires tremendous effort on my part. My world is made a more enjoyable and rewarding one because of my benevolent demeanor. Let me start by first sharing this video of an interview with Steve Carell, which is just another reason for me to believe he's one of the best human beings out there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh9djS-e6W4. Go to 1:24:30 (almost end of video). "To say someone's nice...that shouldn't set anyone apart."    
     So I'm not writing this post in an attempt to say "I'm nicer than you, so you should think more about your attitude toward others." I'm writing this to say, "I'm nice, but I'm not ______." Shall we start the list?
1. Boring
2. Innocent
3. Oblivious
4. Trusting
5. More inclined to give up
6. Without my opinions
7. Calm, cool, and collected
8. Lenient  
9. Quiet
10. Incapable of reacting irrationally 
11. Secretly judgmental
12. Manipulative
     Just with any other characteristic, people can hear you're one thing and assume you're a multitude of others, too. The kindest people I know are yes, indeed kind. But because I've had the pleasure of getting to know them, I have discovered many other distinguishable traits that they harbor. Growing up, I was known as the "teacher's pet" and a "goody two shoes" and while I didn't think much of it, it did shape how other people approached me. My friends didn't want to tell me about any escapades of theirs because they thought I would look at them differently. This hurt my feelings because I never wanted them to feel like being connected to me meant they had to hold themselves to a certain moral standard. I was constantly told, "Boys are just intimidated by how nice you are." So guys are only going to be interested in me if I'm rude? It was (and still is) frustrating to feel like I was suffocating in this "box of nice" and that was the only thing others really noticed about me. My goodness was confusing to people and sometimes alienating for me. No one really expected anything more of me than to play by the rules.
      I am proud to say that my compassion is probably my strongest and most recognizable trait, but I never considered that it could hold me back. Isn't that funny how our greatest strengths can play a part in our weaknesses too? 
      Even though it's comforting to hear that people think I'm a sweet soul, believe me, I don't need to be reminded of it so much. Instead, I'd love to discuss my ability to obsessively watch far too many television shows or how I can eat a giant calzone in under 15 minutes. I mean, that really gets to the core of who I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac