Skip to main content

It's Never Too Late to Learn

    I love to sit down and ask my friends random questions (which I usually find from the Internet) and the one that pops up all the time is, "What's something you wish you could tell your younger self?" Well, I mulled that over and came up with several somethings.  

  1. Your parents are the most important people in your world. Trust them, listen to them, and love them. 
  2. You won't make friends if you don't put yourself out there. 
  3. Even the popular kids aren't perfect. Stop thinking that they're living a more fulfilling life than you.
  4. Music will help, always.
  5. Keep all your family close to your heart; they won't be around forever.
  6. The kind of person you are is so much more important than the kind of body you have.
  7. Write anything and everything down; it will help you keep your shit together.
  8. Water is your friend. Drink A LOT of it.
  9. If you're skeptical about a clothing item, try it in a bigger size before buying it.
  10. Long warm showers will make you feel better. 
  11. Make eye contact during conversation; it's more memorable that way.
  12. Never pass up on new desserts at social events, because it's all you'll think about the next day.
  13. You can learn many valuable life lessons from heartfelt TV shows.
  14. You can't make people care who simply don't. It is a draining and useless effort.
  15. Your job is not to impress guys. The right guys will be impressed by you being your unique self. 
  16. Even when you are frustrated, overwhelmed, or plain pissed off, be kind. You'll always regret the things mean Libby says and does.
  17. Don't pretend to like stuff you don't.
  18. You're always setting an example in everything you do. Don't take that responsibility lightly.
  19. Scary movies screw with your head and refuse to let you sleep. If it's a choice, watch a rom-com.
  20. Your friends really do need to hear how much you appreciate them.
  21. Talk to someone about your problems; you are not being a nuisance by doing so.
  22. Stop worrying about what's next and focus on what's happening now.
  23. You will become too attached to people too quickly. This is a great thing because you're a loving person, but a difficult thing because you will feel lost when they leave.
  24. Find people who inspire you, make you laugh, and make your heart feel safe. 
  25. Exercise even when you really don't want to.
  26. Don't believe everything you tell yourself. Libby can be rude, insensitive, and hurtful sometimes.
  27. Spend money on things you know you will use. 
  28. Read, read, read! Especially autobiographies of women you admire.
  29. It's ok that you're weird. You will find more of your kind and they will accept you as you are.
  30. Life is awfully complicated, but pretty darn beautiful; accept that and you will be on your way to brighter days.
    To be honest, I still have to work daily to remind myself of some of these lessons. I do hope younger Libby realizes how much progress she's made though. I am not someone who can say "I have no regrets." If I could smack some sense into my past self, believe me, I would. But I can't go back and fix my mistakes or change my choices. I can only move forward with what the past has taught me, and I'm starting to make peace with that. <3

Comments

  1. These are really good. :) Makes me want to write myself a list. Thank you for sharing, Libby! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac