Skip to main content

Well Western, Here's What's Up...

     


    I can't say that college has been everything I thought it would be. In fact, it's nothing like I expected, but that's why it has been so rewarding.
    The things I was most nervous about for college were living with a roommate, having completely new classes dedicated to a major, and figuring out how to balance everything. I still struggle with that last one. However, my roommate is super cool and it's a great experiment with respect and responsibility to be forced to coexist with another person. One of the greatest blessings of college has been living on the Honors Floor. I am surrounded by creative, intelligent, accepting, unique females whom all have a fabulous sense of humor. The way we have bonded so fiercely and faithfully in this short time amazes me.
    Believe me, I received a good education in high school, but being a musical theatre major means I am enlightened every single day by things I have never even thought about before. I have professors who have truly lived and share their knowledge and experience honestly and abundantly. I attend classes amongst students who are equally as passionate and eager as I am to sink their teeth into uncharted territory. I am guided outside of my comfort zone every day and even though that's scary and uncomfortable, it's making me better; which is what I came here for.
    I am getting accustomed to dorm living, building friendships, improving upon my singing, dancing, and acting skills, all while having boat loads of fun, but I gotta say, it feels like there's something missing. That missing piece is me.
    I have been thrown into this new world four hours away from home and completely void of anyone I previously knew before the age of 18. So I have been exploring Macomb, but pretty hesitantly due to the fact that I feel like I left a large part of myself back in Marshalltown. You know how you can immerse yourself into a new environment, but it's so foreign and intimidating that you miss the convenience and ease of the life you left behind? That's where I'm at right now. I'm trying to figure out where Libby fits and what her newfound purpose is here. I'm also trying not to feel heavy-hearted considering the overwhelming love in the form of of my family, friends, and community that I departed from three months ago. It's crazy how you can go from seeing certain individuals every day to only hearing their voice once a week when you call or FaceTime. 
    I don't mean for this to seem like I'm unhappy or ungrateful to be in my current position. Since I grew up in the same place with the same people for 18 years, I developed a pretty good sense of who Libby was and the role she played for those around her. Now I'm a bit lost and unsure of  myself—but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's a part of growing up and moving forward; this is an opportunity, not an obstacle. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac