Skip to main content

Saying Goodbye to Glee

         I was introduced to Glee in 7th grade. My mom purchased the first half of season 1 on DVD because she had heard the media raving about it. My sister and I sat down with her to see what the hype was all about. Once Mr. Schuester exclaimed, "From the top!" after the glee club's first official performance of Don't Stop Believing I was hooked. Glee was a whole new exception to my TV series obsession. I had never been so excited to watch more episodes of a show before. Honestly, I could have watched all 13 episodes on the DVD that very first night we chose to view the pilot. 
        This TV show came into my life at the perfect time. Middle school wasn't horrible, but it was awkward (well duh, it's middle school). There was so much going on with Glee that I felt totally resonated with my early teenage years. Being insecure, discovering my passions, crushing on guys who didn't know I existed, stressing about my social standing, etc. There was no other show airing that I felt represented people like me. That's always been a huge praise for Glee; it sheds light on the underdogs. We learn that all the main characters are outcasts in their own right, but can find solace in each other, and more importantly, music.
        I would say middle school was the point in my life where I realized how much I enjoyed singing. I watched this entertaining show every week that showcased characters who not only dealt with problems I could relate to, but who also had a true love for performing. Especially the show's lead Rachel Berry.
        Now I hope I'm not as conceited or as high maintenance as Rachel, because the girl can get kinda crazy.  It's remarkable how much a fictional character has helped me shape a sense of identity on and off the stage. She also passed on her gold star obsession to me. :)  Rachel had this infectious energy when she sang that so often gave me goosebumps. What I really admired about her though, even more than her talent, was her persistence. She knew her peers disliked her, but she refused to let it phase her. The confidence and drive within her made her a winner and even when life knocked her down she knew she was capable of enduring. The actress who plays her, Lea Michele, knows the power of strength during difficulty as well.
       A huge part of what drew me to Glee was the central relationship of Finn and Rachel (famously referred to as Finchel). Of course it was the classic "popular boy somehow finds the loser girl attractive" bit, but Lea Michele and Cory Monteith's chemistry is truly what made this relationship so addicting to watch. I rooted for the couple onscreen and soon offscreen when it became clear that Lea and Cory couldn't stop the sparks from flying when around one another. They eventually started dating and seemed to have real promise of a future together. Cory Monteith's sudden death was heartbreaking for me, millions of fans, and no doubt  his friends, family, and love, Lea. It was definitely the first celebrity passing that affected me deeply. This was a man I looked up to, laughed with, and adored watching every week. His death wasn't just a loss for the show, but for all those who were in awe of Cory's light and spirit.

        I will agree with the masses that once Finn Hudson was no longer able to grace our television screens, Glee took an unexpected turn. The storylines became stranger, the new characters were uninteresting, and the reality the show used to be so brilliantly grounded in was disappearing (sometimes painfully). However, because I started out as an avid fan, I refused to give up on Glee. This show had done so much for me that it only seemed right to devote my viewership till the very end. Thank goodness I did! No, the series finale wasn't perfect, but it gave me closure; which I think all loyal fans deserve. I basically grew up with these characters, experiencing their pain and happiness right along with them—therefore Glee will always hold a special place in my heart. I can't express my gratitude enough for the creators, cast, crew, and everyone else responsible for keeping this inspiring show on the air for six beautiful seasons. That's six years of teaching me the healing power of music, how important friendship is, to dream big and boldly, and what it really means to value one's individuality and take pride in being special. ♥
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac