Skip to main content

The Awe of Awkward

     When I was younger being cool was always my aim; my version of cool that is. Currently I don't see a need to be cool, but I do try a lot of the time to be composed. Let's face it, I've never been very good at that either.
      I grew up with social anxiety so even the shortest of conversations were torture to me. Thankfully, I really enjoy talking to people now and small talk doesn't scare me in the slightest. Well, that's partially a lie. Small talk with people I don't find intimidating is easy. Discussing myself, the weather, plans for the weekend, my education, and/or the rest of my life with old people, boys, teachers, or anyone I feel wouldn't hesitate to judge me, yeah that's a little cringe-worthy. For some reason when I'm put into those situation my mind goes blank so I appear to be an idiotic fumbling mess. Who wouldn't want to come across as such?
      I can't express how many times I've deserved a face palm for my lack of poise. I think I'm one of those people who desperately wants to be thought of as charming and make a memorable impression. With that in mind however, I usually screw up and forget anything and everything about anything and everything. Apparently people can still manage to love me with my painful quirkiness; which gets me thinking...why should awkward have a negative connotation?
     Although I detest awkwardness on myself, I find it incredibly endearing on others. I'm much more attracted to and at ease around a guy who has some shyness accompanying an intriguing personality. When I hear the word "awkward" I'm reminded of two things in particular; one being the TV show AWKWARD. I was hooked after the very first episode. The main character is this normal girl who just happens to draw too much attention to herself by accident. She isn't necessarily awkward herself, but awkward situations seem to follow her. Even when she's surrounded by all that craziness, she comes out stronger and with a renewed sense of self more times than not. So I always love how AWKWARD puts this plain but unique girl and shows how she can be someone worthy of greatness. The second thing that comes to mind is the choral piece the men sang at All State the year I was accepted. It was called "The Roof" and it was gorgeous, but there was a particular line that stood out to me: 
"Be confusing, be stunning, be awkward." 
It caught me off guard when I first heard it, because it's this mesmerizing song that encourages one to be awkward. It was truly proof of the beauty in being less than perfect.
      So if you deem yourself awkward, great! You're not alone. ;) Sure it's impressive when someone is the whole package void of flaws and insecurities; but how likely is that? It took me a long time to recognize that not always being calm and collected exposes layers to me as a human being which makes me interesting--
not an embarrassment. Besides, I'll have entertaining stories to tell my husband and kids someday, and then I'll be thankful for my special touch of awkward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac