Skip to main content

I Can't Find a Single Fault in The Fault In Our Stars

    Ok, I'm sure most of you are tired of hearing about the love story riddled with cancer that youngsters keep tearfully raving about, but tired is certainly not the first emotion that comes to mind when I think of "The Fault In Our Stars." 
     I did indeed read the book before attending the movie (which I highly recommend) and I do intend on re-reading it because I find this story incredibly captivating and after reading the book once, seeing the movie twice, and watching numerous YouTube cast interviews, I find myself doused in a renewed adoration for all the lessons "The Fault In Our Stars" teaches.
     First of all, the hopeless romantic in me (that I sometimes desperately wish I wasn't) is a sucker for any actors that can simply look at one another and emit a spark. Shailene Woodley (Hazel) and Ansel Elgort (Agustus) meet each other's gaze and lemme tell you, call the fire department because the fireworks these two create could burn an entire village down. Trust me, I could go on and on about the blessed chemistry Shailene and Ansel have, because there's no way this movie would have been as special without the passion they brought to it, but what really gets me about the movie is its golden quotes.
     John Green is a spectacular author and writes in a very authentic voice. Forewarning: I am going to reference the movie's quotes which may deviate from the book's. They're the freshest in my brain, sorry! There are two lines that steal my heart and they come with back story so if you don't want spoilers do not read on. After Agustus dies due to the cancer that unfortunately and untimely revisits his body (Side note: cancer sucks. My heart sincerely goes out to all those affected firsthand and their families/friends) Hazel is obviously in a fragile state, and once returning from his funeral sits on the floor next to her bed. Her dad walks in and offers his condolences and then says, "It was a privilege though wasn't it...to love him." The first time I watched that scene I'm pretty sure I felt my heart literally ache. Shortly after that scene comes the conclusion of the film where Hazel realizes a paper that she previously disregarded was actually Agustus's eulogy for her. Its entirety is beautiful, but he writes, "I'm so lucky to love her" and I don't know whether it's Ansel's tone in his voice over, the flashbacks of the couple's happy moments they show, or just the fact that the movie has already made you suffer through so many emotional peaks and valleys, but I lost it. 
      The reason these two particular parts stick with me so much is because they reflect on how I aspire to live my life. I don't mean I desire to be diagnosed with cancer, fall in love with an afflicted counterpart, and endure an unbearable tragedy. What I noticed about those quotes is they support what Shailene has deemed in several interviews as the importance of this entrancing story. We aren't guaranteed futures with people. Sometimes life doesn't take into account the hopes, dreams, visions, and expectations we have for ourselves, let alone those we love. Agustus points that out with his honest line, "The world is not a wish-granting factory." Which is why the underlying theme of "The Fault In Our Stars" seems to be gratitude. Appreciating what we have, and even more-so, who. I think it's amazing how Hazel's dad uses the word "privilege" when equating it to love. Essentially that's all life is. We are privileged to be exposed to the world around us. All we're promised are moments and there are no certainties, just opportunities. Opportunities to make your days count and enjoy the time you receive here, because it's so limited, and while we're lucky enough to possess a beating heart, it's crucial to share it and open it up to the people that fuel its happiness. 
      My truest thanks to John Green for giving the public this enlightening tale that has changed perspectives for so many, including me. I would definitely urge anyone to read "The Fault In Our Stars" or go witness its perfection on screen (or both!) and be moved by its brilliance.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ItBvH5J6ss  TRAILER

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac