Skip to main content

Overcoming My 2014 Dilemma


    It’s normal to look back on your experiences, especially when a new year comes around. Usually I look back at these memories with fondness and gratitude, but something about this year was different. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still very thankful for the multitude of blessings that surrounded me in 2013, but when I took my trip down memory lane as the time kept ticking towards 12am, things just felt rather unsettling to me.

     I did a lot this past year and got put into many situations where I was kind of forced to meet new people and branch out of my comfort zone. While that certainly wasn’t easy for someone who is rather quiet and introverted like me, I couldn’t be happier that I ended up in those circumstances. I had the privilege of meeting people that I genuinely enjoyed. Even though I keep to myself more often than not,  I’d still say that I’m very people-oriented and have a lot of positive things to say about those who I’ve been close to for some time and even those who I was only introduced to for a short while. Here’s where the unsettling part comes in.

     I will always be a firm believer in the idea that almost everyone we encounter is meant to teach us something, but what never seems right is that they tend to leave after the lesson is learned. I’d like to think that I don’t get attached to people easily but when you you’re a naturally accepting and caring human being, chances are your big heart has already made room for people you’re just getting to know; and that can suck.

     I know that life never stays the same for long, but I hate the fact that I can come across new, fun, and down-to-earth people all while growing accustomed to their presence in as little as 2 days and then suddenly I’m never going to see them again. It’s just something my mind likes to dwell on because I know not everyone thinks this way; there are some people who don’t get sentimental at all. It just starts a waterfall of questions in my head. "Do they even remember me?" “Do they ever think of me now?” “Did they like me?” “Do they consider their time spent around me good/bad/a waste?”

    With a new year just starting to bloom I know this is a terrible weakness to have. Ultimately though, I feel like there’s something devastatingly beautiful about what I’ve been describing in this post. People touch our lives all the time, whether we care to admit it or not. Maybe time spent with people who impact your life in a strong way like this, is not meant to be dissected or questioned.

    I decided to not make any resolutions for 2014 because I didn’t feel comfortable setting expectations for my life because truth is, I honestly don’t know how much control I actually have over what happens to me. However I do know that writing this post has been rather therapeutic for me. While I’m steering away from creating resolutions, I’m going to encourage myself to adopt the notion that it’s wonderful to value people for the mark they’ve left on your life, but the story must go on. While it may be painful and hard to understand, not everyone can stick around to be a primary part of your life because they have their stories too; and when you care about people and allow them to occupy a place in your heart, you can no longer be selfish…you have to let them go and grow in their own experiences . And that’s OK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac