Skip to main content

Let's Talk About Concerts

    I decided to write a post about one of my many loves; concerts. My very first concert was the Beach Boys and I’m sure I would have loved it, but unfortunately I have no recollection of it whatsoever. So the first real concert I can recall is the Cheeath Girls with Hannah Montana. Great first, right? Haha. From there my desire to go to concerts grew and I’m lucky enough to be able to say that thus far I’ve attended, hoping that my count is correct, 23 concerts.

        I’ve had a strong love for music ever since I was young and the idea of seeing an artist sing one of my favorite songs live and in person was mind-boggling to me. It’s good to enjoy an artist’s entire repertoire, but we all have to admit that there’s always that one song we love to hear more than the rest. The songs I can remember flipping out over in concert are as follows:
                         -This One’s For the Girls (Martina McBride)
·                              -How to Save a Life (The Fray)

·                              -Should’ve Said No (Taylor Swift)

·                              -Dog Days Are Over (Glee Cast)

·                              -Turning Page (Sleeping At Last)

·                              -Ghost (Ingrid Michaelson)

·                              -Leave (Glen Hansard)

·                              -Drunk (Ed Sheeran)

·                              -Teenage Dream (Darren Criss)

·                              -Anything Could Happen (Ellie Goulding)

·                              -Teenage Dirtbag (One Direction)

·                              -27 (Passenger)

·                              -All Too Well (Taylor Swift)

    These songs stand out as special moments in concerts where I had to remind myself how grateful I am for music, artists who are crazy talented, and lovely parents who pay to let me have the best nights of my life. My dad is a concert fiend so you could say he kind of passed that down to my sister and I. Words aren’t enough to tell him how much we appreciate the money he’s spent, the hours he’s driven, and the enthusiasm he’s shown in getting to experience concerts with us. We have definitely bonded more as a family through music and concerts which I think is pretty cool.

                Concerts always come along with minor annoyances such as:

·         Spending money

·         Waiting in lines

·         Crowds

·         Loud, obnoxious, drunk, and/or rude people

·         Standing for 2+ hours straight

·         Standing in line for an hour to get into the venue in Kansas City and almost passing out from heat stroke. (Yeah that actually happened. I almost died for you 1D. ;) )

Even with these slight downers, concerts are so much fun and completely worthwhile.

        The simple thought that one, or more if there’s an opening act, artist can bring so many people together for a night full of music is just overwhelmingly lovely. It’s always people of all ages too which I find great because it shows that music can reach any generation.

        Speaking of younger generations, I am reminded of the amazing opportunity my dad and I had to meet the drummer of Fleetwood Mac, Mick Fleetwood, through tickets my dad won from a radio show. It was a short experience, but a meaningful one at that. We got our picture taken with him (he’s a giant!) and a brief Q&A session. I’m normally pretty soft-spoken, but when there was a lengthy silence during the Q&A I built up the courage to ask Mick “What’s one piece of advice you’d give to the younger generation today?” He very kindly replied something along the lines of, “I would encourage younger people to not keep things bottled up because it’s not healthy to let your feelings get so built up to the point where you feel like you're going to explode. He said it’s also important to do what you love and what you’re passionate about; even if you’re bad at it. This concert was the night before I took off to my summer music camp so having Mick’s advice to hold onto in the back of my mind was really beneficial.

        On a day-to-day basis I’m usually a pretty awkward and timid teenager, but there’s something about concerts that makes me burst right out of my shell. I scream, I dance, I sing at the top of my lungs. I basically become the happiest person on the planet. That’s really why I love concerts so much. Stress and worries melt away and for one night I get to be carefree and surrounded by music I adore.

        As I’ve gotten older, concerts have become a huge source of inspiration for me because in my dream world, that’s where I end up; on stage, in front of hundreds of people, performing my own music, and getting to be eternally thankful that I get to call that my job. Musicians are my favorite people and the way they can entertain a crowd by simply singing/playing a song is spectacular.

        I very much intend on reaching 100 concerts before I croak; two of which better be Sara Bareilles and Adele. Some other people I would kill to see that I haven’t yet are:

·                                     -Beyonce

·                                      -Bon Iver

·                                      -Boyce Avenue

·                                      -The Civil Wars

·                                       -Drake

·                                      -Florence + The Machine

·                                      -Frank Ocean

·                                      -Frightened Rabbit

·                                       -JoJo

·                                      -Joshua Radin

·                                      -Matt Nathanson

·                                      -Michael Henry & Justin Robinett

·                                       -Ron Pope

  ·                                   -Snow Patrol
I highly suggest that if you haven’t gone to a concert you really really should. Trust me, it’s good for the soul. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac