Skip to main content

My Time at McNally :)

 Just this last Thursday I took off to St. Paul Minnesota for a vocal workshop at McNally Smith College of Music. I received a brochure in the mail and it seemed like it would be a good time. Fortunately, I was right. Actually, I was more than right because my experience at McNally was so much more special than I bargained for.
Now I'll be honest, thinking about being 4 hours away from home at a camp where I would know absolutely no one scared the crap out of me. I'm not the most outgoing person, so I was worried that making friends would be a challenge. Thankfully, I was wrong in that assumption.
Let's start with my roommates. Mary, Eileen, and Nina all appeared to be chill girls that I could get used to living with for 5 days. Little did I know that these girls would become some of my favorite people in less than a week. We were able to laugh, share our stories, insecurities, and love for singing together. When I think about the best parts of this trip, I think about us 4 girls staying up late, goofing around, and just being fools together. I have to thank you three for being not only tolerable roommates, but one-of-a-kind friends.
            In my opinion the coolest night at this workshop was the night of open mic. I believe there were about 16 acts that signed up and I can honestly say I enjoyed every single one. Watching other people use their talents to entertain a crowd is so inspiring. I’m going to go off on a somewhat related tangent and say that it’s just a really cool feeling to be able to move beyond a place of jealousy while watching other people perform, to a place of determination and inspiration because you hope to one day be as good as them, as brave as them, or as brilliant as them. Being a musician, to me, is one of the most vulnerable things a person can do. You’re putting yourself out there and taking the risk of being judged, but that open mic night was one of the most surreal things to witness because everyone supported everyone. I mean, how often do you see rappers on their feet applauding a girl who just finished belting a classic jazz tune? Or what’s the likelihood of seeing kids who listen to punk rock move and groove to the fine beats of hip hop dudes? I feel like everyone at this camp had respect and admiration for one another, because each of us as individuals understands the struggle of performing in front of other people, let alone a room full of fellow musicians. Let me just say there was some wicked talent showcased that night. Y’all need to keep an eye out for Jp Cudi in the future because that kid’s (excuse my profanity) a fucking genius when it comes to music. I felt honored simply to be sitting in the same room as those who performed.
            Another fond memory from that night is when a guy taking the hip hop workshop, Antonio, talked to me and my roommates for a while. He asked Mary Elizabeth what her story was behind being a singer and she immediately had an answer for him because that’s just the passionately sure person she is. When he passed that question onto me though, I was not only stumped, but even a little ashamed because I didn’t have a heartfelt reason behind why I do what I do. After I pondered over the question, I just told him that I don’t really have a story and I honestly don’t know what spurred my interest in singing, but I do know that music truly is the only thing that has ever made sense to me. Music is my passion. I feel like other people feel that way too, ya know? Like music is that one thing that told them “Hey, you matter and you have a purpose.”
           I’ll use that word as a basis for my conclusion; passion. The reason these 5 days were some of the best days of my life is because I got to spend all day every day singing. I mean, that’s my dream right there. In one of our vocal rehearsals, our instructor Jennifer explained the meaning of the song Glitter in the Air to us. She said that the song was about those intangible moments in our lives that really can’t be described; we just know that they’re magical and have affected us as human beings. That stood out to me so much, because that’s what this experience at McNally was for me. I was surrounded by people who had a deep passion for what they do, which is a feeling you really can’t beat. The bonds I formed with the kids at this camp are stronger than the bonds I have with some people that I’ve known for years all because we have one grand thing in common: we love music. I am forever grateful to all of you who made my time at McNally exceptional. I hope that you all continue to believe in yourselves and music.
Much love,
Libby Crawford

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me About the Good

Last weekend, I said goodbye to another really enjoyable theatre experience. I was a part of the cast for the show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change . It's a musical that explores the trials and triumphs a myriad of characters face when it comes to dating and mating. I vaguely knew of this show before auditioning, but for the most part, it was all new to me. There was rich humor evident in both song and dialogue, which excited me since I'm not someone who takes herself very seriously, especially when it comes to the complex world of dating 😬. It was a gift to tackle material that had me laughing often, and delighting in all the ridiculousness the theatrical creative process can offer. Oddly, even with all that comedy present, I did find myself latching onto the moving moments of the writing. Working on this show encouraged me to reminisce on matters of both the mind and heart . In this post, I lay out some discoveries, as well as input from others who I ask

Glimpses Underneath the Surface

        I want to write about how I believed myself to be beautiful when younger, and how much I struggle to now.   I didn't dwell on my deviated septum when I was a kid. Hell, I don't even think I knew I had one until high school. I loved taking pictures of myself, regardless of if I had makeup on or had styled my hair. I wore pajamas, dance costumes, and matching sweatsuits on any given day because I felt cute and comfortable in them. I was unconcerned with the terms "muffin top" or "love handles," and couldn't tell you the difference between a scissor and a flutter kick. I watched TV shows and movies that starred gorgeous actresses, but I identified with their spirit before ever considering comparing my appearance. I am trying to find my way back to that internal knowing of my worth.  Wet hair, pajamas that barely cover my burgeoning belly, and a pool stick positioned in the most unfortunate place it could be. Ah yes, that's the Libby I reco

Always Taking Notes

     I was talking to someone recently about how post-grad life feels, and I tried to articulate how weird it is to know I won't be returning to school again in the fall. Something that has been so routine and dependable for more than a decade of my life has changed. I'm aware that there are ways school can become a staple in my life again, such as attending grad school or teaching, but for now I'm attempting to make peace with the unknown and uncover the excitement that can come from no predetermined obligations. My schedule is really mine to do what I want with; that's crazy!      Something else I expressed to this person is that while I may not be immersed in a schooling environment, I still like to describe myself as a student. I truly do love learning in its many forms, and I think if you shut yourself off from it once you leave a formal education setting then you're going to miss out on a lot of growing opportunities. Life itself is probably the ultimate teac